World Alzheimer’s Month 2017
September marks the Global World Alzheimer’s Month, an international campaign to raise awareness and challenge stigma. Since 1994, Alzheimer associations across the globe commemorate 21 September as World Alzheimer’s Day.
The theme for World Alzheimer’s Month 2017 was “Remember Me” Early diagnosis means I can live well for longer.
Alzheimer’s Pakistan like all Alzheimer’s associations around the world marked the World Alzheimer’s Month with awareness-raising activities taking place over 30 days. These included:
1. Awareness lectures- Seminars at Universities across Pakistan- FC College Lahore, Beacon House University Lahore, Kinnaird College Lahore & University of Central Punjab Lahore
2. World Alzheimer’s Day Circket Tournament at Kinnaird College
3. Seminar on Alzheimer’s and related Dementia at Rawalpindi by Alzheimer’s Pakistan Rawalpindi Chapter.
4.TV Show (PTV World) on Alzheimer’s and related Dementia by Alzheimer’s Pakistan Rawalpindi Chapter
5. Alzheimer’s Awareness Dinner at Rawalpindi.
6. Seminar on Alzheimer’s Disease by the Karachi Chapter in association with Pakistan Medical Association
7. Seminar on Alzheimer’s Disease at Khayber Medical College KPK.
8. Awareness Campaigns by Asian Students Medical Association (AMSA) Pakistan at 14 Medical Colleges of Pakistan
9. Awareness Stalls at Universities and Medical Colleges
10. Press conference at Hospitality Inn Lahore to call for coordinated efforts between the civil society, the medical community & the government to institute Dementia Clinics & Provincial Dementia Programs
World Alzheimer’s Day on 21 September played a key role in the month as the coordinated National & international effort reached their peak. World Alzheimer’s Month offers Alzheimer’s associations the opportunity to reach more individuals and groups and increase their efforts to call for improved support services for people living with dementia and their carers.