Alzheimer’s Pakistan runs Support Group for family members and caregivers of People Living with Dementia. It could be challenging to care for a person with Dementia and caregivers could have a variety of feelings about this situation. It is seen that often people feel lonely and isolated as they find it difficult to stay in touch with friends and family. The Support Group provides the Family Caregivers an opportunity to share their experiences and learn from other Care Givers on how they are managing the challenging situations experienced during Care Giving. The objectives of Family caregiver support group include:
- To learn about dementia, its progression and the impact it may have on individuals and families; and learning practical coping strategies.
- To strengthen the coping abilities of active primary and secondary caregivers and of recently bereaved caregivers through:
- Sharing common experiences.
- Encouraging early planning.
- Encouraging caregivers to actively engage in protecting and maintaining their physical and emotional health.
Benefits of family caregiver support groups
- A platform for sharing practical tips and strategies for coping with the many changes connected with the disease.
- A forum to exchange information, support and friendship with others whose lives are affected by dementia.
- An opportunity to decrease feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- A place to express feelings and be reassured that these feelings are normal and expected.
- A place to find a positive outlook on things without being misunderstood.
- An opportunity to develop communication and problem-solving skills.
- A place to access the most current information provided by the Alzheimer’s Pakistan.
- The chance to regain some control in the face of a disease that cannot be controlled.
- A place to find a sense of hope.
If you wish to join the support group, please contact Alzheimer’s Pakistan.